Frequently Asked Questions

The following are most common questions about buying real estate (home or investment property) in the US by non-US citizen, foreign investors, or immigrants currently outside the United States.  If you need further information, please feel free to contact Foreign National Real Estate.

Disclaimer: The information below is intended as a general overview of the process for non-US citizens in the state of Texas only, and it should NOT be used as a substitute for legal advice from a qualified attorney or a real estate professional experienced with foreign buyers.  Before making any purchase of real estate you should speak with an attorney and/or a real estate agent who can review your own personal situation and advise you accordingly.


How can I buy and own house or investment property in the U.S.?

You can buy a house or commercial property for investment in the U.S. as a Foreign National. Our licensed Realtors will help you through step-by-step buying process.


Can I finance a house or commercial property in the U.S.?


Yes. There are many programs to choose from. For example, you can finance 75% up to $1,000,000 with your income from your home country to buy a second home in the U.S. You can obtain a recourse or non-recourse loan for income-producing commercial properties.


What Real Estate investment options available for Foreign Investors?

​​A foreign investor can invest in the U.S. while living overseas as a passive investor. Or the investor can move to the U.S. through EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program or E-2 Tready Investor Program when approved by USCIS. Our licensed Realtors will help you to locate investment options based on your unique objectives. See detailed options here. Our attorney specialized in these programs can help you. For immgration policy, check with USCIS.


Can I open a bank account or establish credit as a Foreign National?


Yes.  We can help you through the banking process. You can start your credit based on your current banking relationship in your home country.


How do I transfer money to the U.S.?

It all depends on the country you reside. After a relationship is established, we can determine the best process for your needs.


What is title insurance? Is title insurance required?

Title Insurance is a policy that protect the buyer against any loss or damage resulting from a defective title. In the U.S., it is mandatory for any real estate transaction to have a title insurance.


Insurance on Property?

Any financed property, whether home or vehicle, must be covered under an insurance policy.


Taxes and Business Filings for Foreign Nationals?

There are many future benefits with making sure that all taxes and laws are followed and understood concerning your ongoing financial relationships.


Why Hire an Immigration Lawyer? 

Immigration law is very challenging and continuously changing.  It is a great benefit to have someone that can help and guide you through all available programs.

© 2013 by Foreign National Real Estate Organization. 

  • facebook-square
  • twitter-bird2-square